Interac e-Transfer is a simple, convenient, and secure way to send and receive money directly from one bank account to another.
All you need is access to online or mobile banking, and you can send money to anyone with an email address or mobile phone number and a bank account in Canada — without sharing any personal or financial information.
- In Online Banking, click Transfers, then click Send INTERAC® e-Transfer
- Select a recipient by entering an email address and/or mobile phone number
- Fill in the Interac e-Transfer information (dollar amount, account from which to withdraw the funds, a security question that only the recipient will know the answer to and optional personal message)
- Follow the instructions to confirm the information and complete the transfer
Login to online or mobile banking:
If you haven’t signed up for online or mobile banking yet, contact your branch or visit online banking website to sign up.
When you send money using Interac e-Transfer, your money never actually travels by email or text message. Email and text messages are only used to notify the recipient and to provide instructions on how to deposit the money. Your financial institution and your recipient’s financial institution transfer funds using established and secure banking procedures.
- Encryption technology
- Confidential user IDs and passwords issued by financial institutions
- A secure login process
- A security question and answer to ensure only the intended recipient receives the money
An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once the recipient of the funds has deposited the transfer. You must obtain a refund directly from the recipient. You can ask the recipient to send you an Interac e-Transfer for the refund amount.
Like using cash, you should send money transfers only to parties you know and trust. For most uses of the Interac e-Transfer service (sending money to family and friends, repaying IOUs, sending monetary gifts, etc.), you know the recipient well. For uses where you may not know the receiver well (e.g., online auction purchases), take the precautions you would take when making cash purchases. For auctions and online purchases, be sure to read and follow steps as recommended by operators of these websites to protect your money.
- It’s a simple, secure way to send and receive money directly to and from your existing bank account
- The money can be accessed immediately after your Interac e-Transfer is accepted
- To send an Interac e-Transfer, all you need is the recipient’s email address or mobile phone number*
- Never worry about sharing your personal or financial information with the people you send money to: your address and account information are kept private
- A security question protects your money from being deposited by unintended recipients
- No need to set up new accounts, user ID or passwords — you’re already in online banking. Easy!
- An email and/or text message carries the notification only, not your funds. Integris Credit Union uses existing payment networks to transfer the money to any financial institution in Canada.
* Support for notifying recipients via text message and adding recipient mobile phone information is optional for each participating financial institution. However, anybody with a bank account in Canada can deposit an Interac e-Transfer with the information contained in a text or email notification.
As a sender – Interac e-Transfer confirmation numbers are saved in your online banking history. In addition, you will receive an email notification and/or text message once the intended recipient has accepted the transfer.
As a recipient – You will receive an email notification and/or text message when the transfer is sent, indicating the amount as well as instructions for depositing the funds.
If the recipient has not yet collected the Interac e-Transfer, it’s easy to cancel it in Online Banking:
After you login:
- • Select Transfers > Send an e-Transfer from the left menu.
- • Select Pending Transfers (top of page).
- • Choose the transfer you would like to cancel.
- • Select the account to which the funds are to be deposited.
- • Review and confirm the information you entered.
- • Once cancelled, a confirmation number will be provided to you and the money will be deposited back into your account.
- • An email will be sent to the recipient indicating that the transfer has been cancelled and it can no longer be collected.
You can deposit your funds by clicking on the link contained in the text message or email notification, or you can type the link contained in the notification into your browser — no matter how you’re notified, you can deposit your funds at any computer or mobile device connected to the Internet.
Per Outgoing Transaction Limit $3,000
Per Incoming Transaction Limit $10,000
Per Day Outgoing Transaction Limit $10,000
7 day Outgoing Transaction Limit $10,000
7 day Incoming Transaction Limit $70,000
30 day Outgoing Transaction Limit $20,000
30 day Incoming Transaction Limit $300,000