Internet Security

Security is Everybody's Responsibility

Identity Theft

What if it happens to you?

Report it!

If you are the victim of identity theft, there are steps you can take to minimize damage and help prevent any further fraud or theft.

As soon as you discover the fraud or theft, take the following steps to report it.

  • Call your financial institutions – have them cancel your cards and re-issue new ones. If you do not report a lost or stolen card immediately you could be liable for any losses.
  • Contact your local police. If a report is filed, be sure to include the police report number they give you in all correspondence you have relating to the theft.
  • Contact Canada’s main credit reporting agencies: Trans Union Canada at (1-866-525-0262 Québec 1-877-713-3393) Equifax Canada at (1-866-779-6440) Northern Credit Bureau at (1-800-532-8784).  Ask each agency to send you a copy of your credit report, and discuss with them whether you should have a fraud alert placed on your file.
  • Replace your ID cards like health, driver’s license, or SIN by calling 1 800 O-Canada. An agent will be able to direct you to the appropriate federal and provincial organization to replace each of your cards.
  • If your mail is missing, contact Canada Post at (1-800-267-1177).
  • Contact each organization that provided the identity thief with unauthorized credit, money, information, goods or services in your name, and ask them to investigate the occurrence as well as cancel and close all fraudulent or affected cards or accounts. Find out the following: What information does the company need to begin an investigation? Has the company begun a criminal investigation? If so, what is the police report number? What do you need to do to have your losses reimbursed?
  • For advice on privacy issues related to the identity theft (PIPEDA) contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (1-800-282-1376 or Note that Quebec, British Columbia, and Alberta have separate privacy laws that are similar to PIPEDA, so if you live in one of these provinces, contact the corresponding Provincial Commissioner.
  • To help stop fraud, be sure to report the incident to Canada’s national anti-fraud call centre. The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre gathers information and intelligence about identity theft and provides advice and assistance to victims. Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (1-888-495-8501)

Keep Records

Be sure to record the steps you’ve taken to report the fraudulent use of your identity.

Key Government Contacts

If your government-issued documents are lost or stolen, it is important to report them right away, so that they can be cancelled and you can apply to have new documents issued.

As mentioned above, to replace any key government documents, contact the Government of Canada at 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232 TTY 1-800-465-7735). They will direct you to the appropriate organization. Although 1 800 O-Canada agents can direct you to your provincial or territorial government for key documents issued by provincial or territorial governments, you can also contact them directly at the following coordinates:

Toll Free: 310-0000
TTY Toll Free: 1-800-232-7215
British Columbia
Toll Free: 1-800-663-7867
TTY Toll-free: 1-800-661-8773
Toll free: 1-866-626-4862
TTY: 204-945-4796
New Brunswick
Toll Free: 1-888-762-8600
Newfoundland and Labrador
Tel.: (709) 729-2600
Northwest Territories
Telephone: (867) 873-7817
Nova Scotia
Toll Free: 1-800-670-4357
Telephone: (867) 975-6000
Toll Free: 1-800-267-8097
TTY Toll-free: 1-800-268-7095
Prince Edward Island
Telephone: (902) 368-4000
Toll Free: 1-800-363-1363
Toll free: 1-800-661-0408
TTY: (867) 393-7460